Bavaria City Racing transforms the city landscape into a racetrack to bring the world of motorsport onto the streets of major European cities. It has been successfully hosted in Rotterdam and Moscow and came to Dublin for the first time in 2012. On June 3rd 2012 110,000 spectators gathered to watch Bavaria City Racing on the streets of Dublin city centre.
- Bavaria City Racing to Dublin in 2012
- Full Production Management, Coordination and staffing for the event.
- Two years to plan
A Sample of Challenges
Never a team to shy away from a challenge, Magnum Events designed the track, with the assistance of Mondello Racetrack management, and worked with the relevant City Council departments to ensure that the road surface was suitable for Formula One cars. This included working with a number of external contractors who resurfaced manholes during the over- night site build.
With the exception of the main paddock, hospitality area, one grandstand and a few barriers the infrastructure for this event had to be installed in under 14 hours. In order to successfully install all of the equipment multiple systems and safeguards were put in place. Several key contractor & staff briefings took place in advance of the event in order to ensure that contractors were able to work safely and swiftly throughout the night. In total six individual traffic management plans and strategies were implemented to ensure that the build progressed throughout the night. On-site diversions progressively changed throughout the night to keep site vehicles moving – as the track was only wide enough in places for one vehicle we had to ensure that work taking place on one section of the track would not affect the overall progress.
Unfortunately the weather was not on our side over the course of the night and this affected all aspects of the build, staff and contractors left the site in a near hypothermic conditions, equipment became so wet it was nearly unmanageable and at a number of points during the build it looked like the event would not be able to go ahead. Our contractors were overwhelmed by the conditions but we remained calm, determined and persevered through the light.
June 2012, Dublin Ireland, more than 120,000 spectators gathered for an adrenaline-fuelled afternoon with Superbikes, Super Cars, Touring Cars, Formula 2, World Rally Cars and the star attraction; demonstrations by internationally celebrated Formula One cars and drivers.
In addition there were a number of fringe events such as a fashion show, Vodafone Fan zone area, Live concert in Meeting House Square, Monster Energy activity area and other.
150 staff working on the event in many disciplines.
- Travelling to both Moscow and Rotterdam to fully assess the events requirements
- Planning the event from proposal right through to receiving the full event licence
- Liaising with Statutory Agencies and local businesses
- Implementing Road Closure Plans and Managing Traffic Diversions
- CAD Drawings – Development through to Implementation of the full event site
- Branding and Signage Design, Including Installation and Removal
- Corporate Hospitality venue design and layout
- Staff Management of Event Staff, controlling all elements pre and post event
- Projected Budgets, Financial Control and Auditing
- Managing all on-site Suppliers